The Trinity Banner
The Banner displalys the Arms of Trinity Church described as follows:
“On a field of silver, three green palm branches, coming together in a single stem and cut off at the base, entwined through a gold trefoil of the Trinity; the field surrounded by a border composed of horizontal wavy bands alternating (from the top down) gold and blue; surmounting both the border and the field there is a blue canton (a small rectangle in the upper left corner of the shield) on which is a silver five-pointed star.”
The silver field represents the brightly lit island on which the parish is located, surrounded by the wavy gold and blue of the sun and sea. The golden Trinitarian symbol represents the church’s dedication, as does also the triple palm branch based directly on the verger’s staff. Palms are also typical of the land on which the church is located and have the general biblical symbolism of praise. The silver star on its blue field represents Texas. Trinity Church was founded in 1841 when Texas was an independent republic. The star also symbolizes the Diocese of Texas, which likewise prominently bears a silver star on a blue field. The exterior ornaments of a processional cross and sudarium are symbolic of the fact that Trinity is an Episcopal Church.