The Trinity Seal

Dr. Waring McCrady

Dr. Waring McCrady of Sewanee, Tennessee, the Heraldic Advisor to the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church designed the seal specifically for Galveston’s Trinity Church. The seal and several means of displaying it are given to the Glory of God by Laura Becker Eanes and her brother, Leonard Becker, in memory of their parents. In the years to come, this beautiful insignia will come to represent the presence and ministry of this parish throughout the community and the surrounding region.

Vesica Shape

The seal, in vesica shape, shall consist of the arms of the parish, surmounting a processional cross-crosslet with its sudarium, the whole surrounded by a boarder containing on the left the words “Seal of Trinity Church” and on the right “Galveston Texas 1841.” A vesica is the shape shared by two overlapping circles, the center of each being on the edge of the other, symbolizes the overlapping of earthly and heavenly considerations. Most secular seals are round.

The Center

The center of the seal contains the Arms of Trinity Church. On a field of silver, three green palm branches, coming together in a single stem and cut off at the base, entwined through a gold trefoil of the Trinity; the field surrounded by a border composed of horizontal wavy bands alternating (from the top down) gold and blue; surmounting both the border and the field there is a blue canton (a small rectangle in the upper left corner of the shield) on which is a silver five-pointed star.

The symbolism of the Arms is as follows:

The silver field represents the brightly lit island on which the parish is located, surrounded by the wavy gold and blue of the sun and sea. The golden Trinitarian symbol represents the church’s dedication, as does also the triple palm branch based directly on the verger’s staff. Palms are also typical of the land on which the church is located and have the general biblical symbolism of praise. The silver star on its blue field represents Texas. Trinity Church was founded in 1841 when Texas was an independent republic. The star also symbolizes the Diocese of Texas, which likewise prominently bears a silver star on a blue field. The exterior ornaments of a processional cross and sudarium are symbolic of the fact that Trinity is an Episcopal Church.